Hotel | Erik and Billan bought Kungsholmen in 1988, the same year Erik retired from his cross-country skiing career. Billan continued skiing competitively up to 1995, and summer training camps for young skiers fit in well since all the rooms could be utilized. Our conference business grew out of a request to have dinner here, and since then the ball just kept rolling.
On June 18, 1873, King Oscar II was on his way to Trondheim when he came upon a small islet in the River Ljusnan outside Segersta. He was saluted by a line of log runners. The impressed king asked the captain what the islet was called. The answer was, “In the 18th century it was called Garpholmen, and it is now called Måsholmen (Gull islet). The king then declared: “hereafter it shall be called Kungsholmen” (King’s Islet)
For more than a century, Kungsholmen served as a residence for log drivers on the river Ljusnan. The log sorting basin was only 200 metres away. In 1934 there were 265 log drivers employed, and in the record year 1937, almost 28 million logs floated past Kungsholmen. Today, entirely different activities take place at Kungsholmen.